Sunday 8 March 2015

Week 8 : Self Identity



Week 8 : Self Identity


As an artist, you will eventually need to analyse your own work in order to understand your own artwork and who it could appeal to. This calls for critical assessments and the ability to recognize your own strengths and weaknesses.

In order to do this, I'm going to quickly analyse my own artwork and discuss the artists that influence and inspire me.


For a very long time, I was solely drawing and colouring my artwork traditionally. My traditional main media of choice was, and still is, coloured pencils and occasionally fine liner pen.

Quick study drawings of bearded dragons and frogs from last year during my animals and creatures project, drawn in coloured pencil and fine liner pen.

I'm very interested in fashion illustration and one of the first artists I ever considered to be a major influence on me was the French fashion illustrator, Marguerite Sauvage.

Marguerite is an illustrator who works in many different fields and has a very feminine and flowing look to her artwork. Her choice in colour palettes and her linework are very inspiring to me and I try to emulate her effortless drawing style in my artwork in my own individual way.

My traditional pencil skills are something that I have developed and honed on my own accord and I'm actually very proud with how far I've come in terms of skill and choosing which color palettes work best. I consider this to be one of my strengths.

Another artist that I look up to is the Japanese artist, Hikari Shimoda. Her paintings are a mixture of modern day Japanese 'kawaii' culture and hidden creepy undertones, a strange theme that I also love and try to emulate in my artwork.

Hikari often uses soft, pastel colours in her artwork and sometimes incorporates things like stickers and adhesive glitter to her paintings.

This is a digital piece I created for my 'Fashion Monsters' project last year. I've only recently started using digital media to create and draw with so I'm not fully experienced with the art of digitally drawing yet. My linework also translates differently to my digital artwork than my traditional artwork so my lack of understanding in some fields of drawing would be a weakness of mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment